Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Another Dumb Chicken Joke

As I say on my profile, I know a lot of stuff.  The problem is that writing a Shakespearean sonnet is not amid the stuff I know how to do.  I'm posting a wretched attempt in an effort to tease my poet muse out of hiding.

This is an account of our recent trip to Arkansas. 

Poet muse, aren't you ashamed for letting me struggle like this?

I’m following a loaded Tyson truck 
on winding roads over broccoli hills.
As I slow to a stop and curse my luck--
a chicken escapes and becomes road kill.
A distant reflection—is that a lake?
No, the roof of poultry barns shining steel.
They’re on every hillside, for goodness sake--
growing turkeys fat for Thanksgiving meals.
On down the road, Fort Smith to Little Rock,
the road is smoother now 'tween fields of hay
where Oreo cows graze with white goat flocks;
pretty painted horses outside Conway.
     Destination reached: State decathalon
     Our grandson excelled and second place won.

No comments:

Post a Comment