Monday, September 24, 2012


The assignment was to write a rhyming couplet poem about fall colors.  

The Texas version I posted earlier:  Leaves turn brown.
                                                            Fall down.
                                                               It's fall.
                                                             That's all.
                                                                            wasn't quite adequate.

This is the one I sent. I have just learned it placed FIRST


CRIMSON LEAVES 

A kind of aching sadness reaches me
while watching as our sugar maple tree,
her crimson leaves like bitter, falling tears,
grows bare-limbed, stark--as in all her former years.
In the autumn of my life, may I stay bright
until I turn to gray and fade from sight.
For I discern what falling leaves can’t know:
When finally I fall I will not go
to merely dust and ashes. I will rise
to Him who made the trees, the earth and skies.
For He who suffers not a sparrow’s fall,
remembers me and hears me when I call.
I’ll rise to new life trees have never seen,
and never fade again--forever green.

No comments:

Post a Comment