Friday, June 24, 2011

"I'd Like to See You..."

Because of the subject matter, I wanted this to be the most beautiful, the truest sonnet I ever wrote.  It's not quite a perfect sonnet yet, and I will edit it when an improvement comes to me. 

Shortly before she died, my mother wistfully told me she was looking forward to seeing her mom in heaven.  Oh, how I understand what she meant!


 “I’d like to see you,” she whispered that day.
I wish I had gone then.  The clock ticked on.
Without valuing time, I chose to be
on the job and away. Then she was gone.
Now her time had come; she could not escape
the call, the summons of the dark angel.
No second chance, no rewinding the tape.
It was too late. Oh, death is so final!
If she could call me now from where she lives
I think she would assure me, for she knew
I’d soon find peace and comfort. She forgives.
My mother’s heart was full, her love was true.
          One day we shall meet in God’s shining place:
Where time is not I will see her sweet face.
    

1 comment: