Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Many Gabled Attic of My Mind

This is the sonnet I've been working on for ages. The "Shakespearean Sonnet" form was a completely foreign language to me.  Imagine my astonishment when I received word that this poem took first place.

The many-gabled attic of my mind
is hiding cobwebbed thoughts from days gone by.          
At times I search for hours and fail to find         
a loved one’s name, or why we said goodbye.         
Despair might draw me down and hold me fast.
Shall I lose myself in bewilderment?
With long years left, will my good senses last?
Or will I fade and become insentient?
No, I believe my wits will quite suffice.
I know enough. More words would but confuse.
To be at peace I heed my own advice
and soothe myself, all anxious fears refuse.
     So I intend henceforth to take great pains
     to celebrate each day with what remains.




2 comments:

  1. First place huh? Congrats to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I loved it and I certainly can relate to it. Growing old is quite a journey and we must make every effort to make it a rewarding journey. At 75 I find it difficult at times but pray that I can celebrate each day with what remains.

    ReplyDelete